Headcanon of the day: Dori makes Nori ugly Christmas sweaters (or the M-E dwarf equivalent) every year with really atrocious yet intricate patterns. Like a varied pattern of snowflakes or battle goats (or snowflakes AND battle goats). Nori hates the sweaters, but wears them to make Dori happy and because they are very warm. Dori enjoys seeing Nori squirm.
Also the sweaters often dishevel Nori;s hair if he’s not careful.
- Husband: So you know how Natasha Romanoff wears that arrow necklace?
- Me: ...you mean the one that made me want to cry and the one that made me immediately order one of my own that I haven't taken off in two months? No, I don't know how Natasha Romanoff wears that arrow necklace.
- Husband: Asshole. Anyway, I just had a thought...maybe Clint Barton has a little red hourglass stitched into his archery arm guard.
- Me: Asshole.
Pro Tip for Future Cara: When participating in a drinking game while watching Return of the King, stick to the rules. Otherwise when Legolas and Gimli have their drinking contest, you will feel compelled to join in and chug a liter of 8% alcohol which will not go over well when you try to tweet 10 minutes later. Also, you will become strangely obsessed with the idea of tweeting at Elijah Wood, which again will not go over well, mostly because your Twitter account is locked. Stay cool, Cara.
Since I have recently broken 100 followers, I wish to announce a giveaway.
- 1st place winner: 1 pair handmade mittens, color to be discussed + 750-word Hobbit/LOTR drabble, topic to be discussed
- 2nd place winner: a 1,000-word Hobbit/LOTR drabble, topic to be discussed.
- 3rd place winner: 750-word Hobbit/LOTR drabble, topic to be discussed.
- contest begins July 1, ends August 1
- must be following me to participate
- winner decided by random number generator
- likes worth 1 chance at winning, reblogs 2 for a max of 3.
- If for some reason you win 1st and don’t want the mittens due to not wanting to give out your address, we can work something out.
Go forth and good luck!
2 more days!
Anonymous said: well with the antisemitism it wasn't on purpose and i'm sure not done with malice but that's how prejudice works, it doesn't always mean bad intent. in the book they were there to show how much better bilbo was than them, they were always incompetent and then tolkien kills three of them off as punishment in the story. just the association of greed with jews leaves a bad taste in my mouth and i am getting annoyed with all the fics of gandalf or bilbo preaching about how greedy dwarves.
yeah, I nope out of a fic pretty quickly if it’s just Bilbo or Gandalf talking shit about Dwarves as if it’s all right.
as I said earlier today, I think the death of the Durins was more of a ‘the best die in war’ thing as Tolkien fought in the first world war and too many young boys went and died there.
I’m pretty sure that Fili and Kili dying was something of an afterthought. Notice how in the book, its not stressed that they’re the sister-sons and thus heirs (to the best of my knowledge, it’s mentioned less than five times). And Tolkien wanted kill off the main line and make the kingship pass to Dain.
So, originally, he just killed Thorin, but then he remembered that sister-sons would inherit before Dain (we see this occur twice in Rohan’s history, once on screen - Eomer). So the nephews had to die . This is why they had the really anticlimactic death scene in the books; it’s an afterthought. Again, if he had written the hobbit with LOTR in mind, Fili and Kili would probably have been developed a bit more or at least (given that the dwarves weren’t very developned in the books) given a few more lines and a better death explanation.
Note: Most of these stories are on ff.net only, so links for authors take you to their ff.net homepage (since I don’t think many of them have tumblr), and series aren’t allowed on that site, so I have to list series/related works out longhand in the same line
First, some shameless self-promotion:
Now, onwards to other authors:
MoonLily: (formerly Aerus) Her stuff is mostly AU, but really good. See:
- Heart’s Desire and Marshal’s Wife
- Lady of the Sea
- House of Sun*
- Wild Hearts
- A Light that Endures, Flickers of Light - WIP, but enough already done to be worth starting, regular updates
Thanwen: A realistic look at Rohirric culture. Eomer POV.
- Choppy Waters, Visitors, A Wind from the Sea. Readers may also be interested in the companion piece Through Shadows, which is a same-universe Eowyn/Faramir piece which fleshes out the world. Currently a regularly updating WIP, this story is to be read after the other 3.
lindahoyland: Linda doesn’t write much E/L, but if you like stories about Aragorn, Faramir, and Eowyn, go check out her other work. In terms of E/L, go check out Nightmares with Nightshirts. A hilarious oneshot.
Shango Sanguine’s Queen of the Riddermark, an enjoyable oneshot
Lialathuveril is a prodigious writer. Go see:
- Of falcons and Mumakil, revenge is a dish best served cold
- Imrahil’s daughters, a case of mistaken identity
- The Lion and his Lady, oneshots
- The abduction of Eomer. King of Rohan *
- Promises, angsty
- On the Wings of the Storm, which is excellent and slightly AU
- Yours to Command, The Salt in the Soup
- Not the usual stakes
- black eyes
- I can only manage One
- cross wife of the list
- kissing is different oneshot
- Knife edge oneshot, cameo gimli
- ToD: Choices, ToD: Drummer, ToD: The Sellsword and the Prince, ToD: Swansong
- Eomer goes fishing
- Lothiriel’s journal
- Bound by Duty
Maddy051280: a superawesome series, I’m not going to list them all here to save space, just go check out her page. strongly recommend
Deandra has a longstanding series called “the elfwine chronicles.” there are over 200 little oneshots. Go check out her page. Totes worth it.
Have fun :)
Notice how in the teaser everyone else in the group shot is all tricked out in mail and weapons and Ori is still all … knitwear ftw.